Living abroad: taxes

International International International International International PlayRight PlayRight PlayRight PlayRight

By law, PlayRight is obliged to withhold tax from any rights it pays out. In turn, PlayRight passes on this withholding tax to the Belgian State. But if you are not a Belgian tax resident, chances are that your royalties will be taxed again when you declare them on your tax return in your own country of residence.

When will my repertoire generate rights abroad?

International PlayRight

As a PlayRight member, the recordings of your artistic performances will effectively start generating revenue once the following conditions have been met:

Adjust my affiliation contract

International PlayRight

You can always* adjust your affiliation contract with PlayRight to:

fit the territories for which you entitle us to collect your neighbouring rights (you can find the list of countries with whom we have a bilateral agreement here),
and/or adjust the “type” of repertoire you want PlayRight to manage

Resolve a contract conflict between PlayRight and another organisation

Audiovisual Audiovisual International Music Music PlayRight

By joining several collecting societies you run the risk of having your rights frozen if the territories the various societies cover overlap.

International exchanges

Audiovisual Audiovisual International Music Music PlayRight PlayRight

Collecting societies exchange information about the use of their respective repertoires in each country. This is usually done on the basis of playlists. On these lists, PlayRight will specify for which artists and recordings it claims rights . The rights are then calculated on the basis of the distribution rules operated by the sister company and paid to PlayRight.

My repertoire is broadcast abroad

Audiovisual International Music PlayRight

Your repertoire may also be protected by neighbouring rights abroad. If your recordings are broadcasted in other countries, the collecting societies in those countries will collect neighbouring rights on your behalf. They will do so regardless of whether you are affiliated to them or not.

Countries where PlayRight can collect my rights abroad

Audiovisual International Music PlayRight

To manage its members’ foreign rights, PlayRight has closed bilateral agreements with similar collecting societies in more than 50 countries.

Deadline to declare my performances

Audiovisual International Music PlayRight

Rights for a given reference year are not paid out in one go but in two stages. To ensure that you receive as many as possible of the rights you are entitled to during the first distribution round, we would advise you to declare your recordings as soon as you can.

For which countries can I become a member?

International PlayRight

When you join, you can specify in which countries you want PlayRight to collect your neighbouring rights:

Become a PlayRight member

Audiovisual International Music PlayRight

In order to collect your neighbouring rights, you have to become a member of PlayRight (or a collective management company abroad in charge of collecting your rights ). PlayRight membership[…]


Log in Become a member